Speech and Language Pathology services at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center are available as an inpatient or outpatient. All of our Speech Language Pathologists (SLPs) are certified by the American Speech Language and Hearing Association and licensed by the Board of Registration of New Hampshire. We treat newborns, toddlers, pre-schoolers, school-aged children, adolescents, adults and geriatric patients. Our SLPs work with their patients to identify the nature and degree of their speech, language, voice or swallowing problem and provide treatment to help improve communication, swallowing, voice, and cognitive abilities. Some of the diagnoses evaluated and treated by our staff include:
- Stroke (CVA or TIA)
- Head and neck cancer or surgery
- Alaryngeal speech (via Electrolarynx)
- Dysphagia (swallowing disorder)
- Neurological disorders
- Cognitive disorder from dementia
- Stuttering or cluttering
- Auditory processing Disorder
- Apraxia of speech
- Brain injury (head injury)
- Parkinson's Disease
- Voice disorders
- Post-concussion syndrome
Southern New Hampshire Medical Center
8 Prospect Street, Nashua, NH 03060
Speech Pathology is part of the inpatient rehabilitation team, which also includes PT and OT.
- Speech and Swallow therapy services may include diagnostic testing; this is available during your hospital stay. Communication and swallowing problems can be related to a stroke or other medical conditions. A plan is developed for initial treatment. You may receive some inpatient treatment. Then, an ongoing outpatient or home program for Speech or Swallowing Therapy may be arranged, as needed, following discharge.
- “Dysphagia,” or swallowing problems, may include an evaluation in partnership with the Radiology Department, during a stay at the hospital, or as an outpatient procedure, referred to as an “MBS” or “Modified Barium Swallow X-ray.”
Southern New Hampshire Rehabilitation Center
460 Amherst Street, Nashua, NH 03063
This is a handicapped accessible, one-level treatment center for PT, OT, Speech, and Audiology services. An order from your health provider is required.
Pediatric Rehab Center
5 George Street, Hudson, NH 03051
Learn more about our pediatric rehabilitation services and specialty programs.
For more information about the American Speech, Language and Hearing Association visit www.asha.org.