Volunteers are the heart of The Medical Center. Being a volunteer is a wonderful opportunity to show your capacity for caring. Southern New Hampshire Medical Center appreciates the dedication and caring time that our volunteers give to patients and visitors. We have over 400 volunteers who donate more than 48,000 hours a year in 40 different departments. Our volunteers truly make a difference. Volunteer Services also is the liaison for the Auxiliary
and The Medical Center
Our volunteers are men and women of all ages and backgrounds - students, retirees, former patients, and family and friends of staff and patients. We look for the right assignment for you and the right department, whether you can only share a few hours or many. We have opportunities available within a variety of departments and programs. We value the talents, skills, and potential each volunteer brings and we believe in taking an active role in promoting a healthier community through volunteerism.
The Medical Center respects and values all of its team members, including our volunteers. The Volunteer Director carefully screens prospective volunteers. Our goal is for you to enjoy your volunteer service and to have a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment in knowing that you are making a difference. The Volunteer Department is also responsible for ensuring volunteer compliance with legal, safety, and infection control requirements. Requirements
- All prospective volunteers will have an interview with the Volunteer Director, at which time your interests and preferences in volunteer opportunities will be discussed.
- When an assignment is selected the applicant will go for a 2-step TB test and attend either the hospital orientation or take the required tests at home to be in compliance with The Medical Center.
- The training for each service position will vary depending on the department to which you are assigned.
Uniform & Badges
Each volunteer will be issued a volunteer smock and a photo I.D. badge that must be worn at all times while volunteering. Volunteers are responsible for maintaining their own uniform in a clean and neat condition. Appropriate dress for volunteering is sneakers and black or khaki pants – no jeans.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Sharing your talents, expertise, and experience with others.
- Giving to others can bring joy and fulfillment to your own life.
- Complimentary meal ticket to use in the hospital’s cafeteria on your scheduled volunteer day that consists of three or more continuous hours.
- Free parking
- Discounted movie passes
- Auxiliary events
- Hospital programs
- The Medical Center’s gratitude for your presence
If you are interested in volunteering at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center please complete the Volunteer Application. You can also contact Jean Barrett, Director of Volunteer Services at 603-577-2959.
Teen Volunteer Program
Volunteens are young men and women between the ages of 14 and 18 who wish to be of service in the hospital setting. We value the youth who are willing to give a meaningful commitment to serving in different departments. Your skills and talents can be used to help others and are a valuable asset to patients, visitors, and staff. Late afternoon all year, and some weekend positions are available.
- Complete and submit a teen volunteer application form with a parental consent signature.
- Interview with the Director of Volunteer Services.
- Obtain a Youth Employment Certificate if under 16 from the school department (form is part of the volunteen application).
- TB testing will be done by The Medical Center.
- Most positions are two and a half to three hours once a week after school and/or during the summer.
- Appropriate dress for volunteering is sneakers and black or khaki pants – no jeans, no open toed shoes, no short shorts or short skirts.
- Must complete tests on Code of Conduct and Mandatory Standards.
If you are interested in volunteering at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center please contact Jean Barrett, Director of Volunteer Services at 603-577-2959. You can also begin by filling out the volunteen application.
Six $1,000 scholarships are awarded annually to teen volunteers
. Applications, available in March/April, can be obtained from Jean Barrett, Director of Volunteer Services, the Messenger Office or the front desk. Applications should be completed and return to the Volunteer Director's office by April 15 of the current year.